Prof. Dr. Eduard Hüttinger (1926–1998) acquired a considerable private library in the course of his academic career. By the end of his life it contained some 25,000 volumes. Apart from Hüttinger’s specialist field, the art and culture of Venice, there are sizeable sections on the history of Italian art from the Renaissance to modernism, on Dutch painting, on the evolution of art history as a discipline and on broader contemporary and modern European art history. Other themes covered include philosophy, history and literary studies.
Eduard Hüttinger studied art history under Gotthard Jedlicka at the University of Zurich from 1946 until 1952, the year he submitted his dissertation on Tintoretto’s cycles in the Scuola di San Rocco in Venice. From 1955 to 1965 he was curator and exhibition organiser at Kunsthaus Zurich. Following his post-doctoral dissertation in 1963, devoted to the baroque sculptor Francesco Pianta, he was a lecturer and assistant professor at the University of Zurich from 1963 to 1966. From 1966 Hüttinger held a chair at the University of Heidelberg. In 1969 he was appointed by the University of Bern, where he was Professor of Art History and presided over the Art History Seminar until his retirement in 1991. Hüttinger served from 1963 to 1982 on the Publications Committee of the Swiss Institute for Art Research and from 1982 to 1992 on the Board of the Foundation. From 1970 to 1981 he was a trustee of the Swiss arts council Pro Helvetia, and from 1970 to 1991 a member of the Bern Museum Committee.
A comprehensive bibliography of works by Eduard Hüttinger can be found in: Eduard Hüttinger, Porträts und Profile. Zur Geschichte der Kunstgeschichte
, St Gallen: Erker, 1992, pp. 363–379, and also in: Eduard Hüttinger, Licht und Farbe. Zur Kunstgeschichte Italiens
, edited by Juerg Albrecht and Regula Krähenbühl, Zurich: Swiss Institute for Art Research; Ostfildern-Ruit: Hatje Cantz, 2001, pp. 481–482 (Addendum).
In 1999, after Eduard Hüttinger’s death, much of his library passed to the Swiss Institute for Art Research (SIK-ISEA), gifted by his widow Annette Bühler. An inventory was carried out with resources made available by Ms Bühler and the collection was compared with holdings in the Institute’s own Library. Since 2006 the Prof. Eduard Hüttinger Library / Annette Bühler Donation has been open to the public. Thanks to Mrs Bühler’s generous support, the Hüttinger Library is regularly updated and now (January 2014) contains 15,600 volumes. New acquisitions since 2008 can be searched via NEBIS (shelfmark EH), while the original holdings can be found via the Hüttinger Library Online Catalogue on the website of the SIK-ISEA Library.
This collection is housed in an external deposit; items can be ordered by e-mail (email@example.com) and will be available for view in the Library on the following day.